Friday, May 1, 2009

Things Change

When I was young...I fell asleep and slept like a log.
Now I am old....I can't sleep a lot. I go to sleep, but wake up
in the middle of the night wide awake.

When I was young, I felt sure and confident about the world
and how things are.
Now I am old, I am untrustworthy of most of the things of the
world.  All our days are numbered and my eyes are open.

When I was young, I took a lot of moments for granted--my
own children, husband, job.
Now I am old, I try to relish each good thing that happens.

I am reading a book of devotions. I read one each morning.
Fleta gave in to me in 1995. I had never opened it.  Today I
read about not waiting 'til tomorrow to do what you should today.
I am going to try to read the entire book as I should have in 1995.
Fleta wrote inside--"a sister forever".    

Today, I am up at 5:30 getting ready for a hard day.  Made a pot of
coffee...no Elvis cup.  But outside I heard a Whipperwill.  First,
one I have heard in a long time.  He sounded really hopeful.  I am
glad he sang to me.


2 comments:

Sister--Helen said...

you know Betty if my day got too hard I would quit and just pretend to go to work....I would hide out under a tree all day somewhere with a good book... We did that from Mama and were quiet successful...I remember back in '00 I worked at AT&T from June till Sept and did not even tell Mike I had a job....

Galla Creek said...

Helen, you and I are not really very much alike. I will keep working.