Friday, November 29, 2013

Russell Baker

What greater gift to have than a good book!?  Fleta left me a good book at Erin's months ago and Erin forgot to give it to me until my Turkey visit.  Should I be sad that Erin neglected to give me my read or be glad that Erin saved it for me to read later? The book was about Russell Baker.  You can google him and read all about him.  His biography of growing up is very good.  Mr. Baker makes light of himself and all his failures.  His father died when he was about 5.  The Dad had diabetes before the days of insulin.  It killed him at a young age.  His Mother gave up her 10 month old daughter to this Dad's brother and sister in law.  She struggled though the depression eking out an existence for herself, Russell and his sister, Dora..  At one time they took "relief" as Russell called it--a low point of his life.  Betty (yes, his mother) wanted Russell to "amount to something" and she took that as a life mission.  Often she told him to "have a little gumption".  The book is full of "terrible with raisins in it", but Russell makes it all into a comedy.  Thanks to Fleta and to Erin...Fleta for sharing it and Erin for waiting to let me have it.
The facts below tell of Russell in a short history.  In 1930, he is with his Dad in VA living the life of a child and by 1940 he is in the big city of Maryland trying to make it by hawking papers in the streets and taking the money home to his mother.  The household is minus the little sister his mother Betty have to his father's brother.  Russell said Betty did not cry when they took Audrey but sit in the kitchen and stared blankly out a window before asking him if he wanted some "jelly bread" something she thought was frivolous containing far too much sugar.
Name:Russell W Baker
Gender:Male
Birth Year:abt 1926
[abt 1925] 
Birthplace:Virginia
Race:White
Home in 1930:Lovettsville, Loudoun, Virginia
Map of Home:View map
Marital Status:Single
Relation to Head of House:Son
Father's Name:Benjamin R Baker
Father's Birthplace:Virginia
Mother's Name:Lucy E Baker
Mother's Birthplace:Virginia


Household Members:
NameAge
Benjamin R Baker32
Lucy E Baker32
Russell W Baker4
[4 7/12] 
Doris J Baker2
[2 7/12] 
Audrey L Baker0
[3/12] 


Name:Russell Baker
Age:14
Estimated Birth Year:abt 1926
Gender:Male
Race:White
Birthplace:Virginia
Marital Status:Single
Relation to Head of House:Son
Home in 1940:Baltimore, Baltimore City, Maryland
Map of Home in 1940:View map
Street:W Lombard Street
House Number:1439
Inferred Residence in 1935:Baltimore, Baltimore City, Maryland
Residence in 1935:Same House
Sheet Number:8B
Attended School or College:Yes
Highest Grade Completed:Elementary school, 6th grade

Household Members:
NameAge
Lucy Baker42
Russell Baker14
Doris Baker12

4 comments:

Erin said...

it wasn't months ago. it was last saturday.

Galla Creek said...

Oh, then it was Fleta that forgot to take it to your house...so I should be thankful that Fleta had it and waited to give it to you to give it to me. She told me of having the book but my cloudy memory has it all mixed up.

Pat @ Mille Fiori Favoriti said...

Thank you for your comment on my blog about Gerritsen Beach, Brooklyn. I found your genealogy research on the Gerritsen name fascinating.

Sister--Fleta said...

Well, I forgot to take the book to Erin until last week. I was going to take it months ago, but could not find where I had put the book. Finally, I found it in my night stand, but go ahead. Blame Erin.