Gardening days are in my past! I had the rest of the fried okra yesterday for lunch with a sliced tomato. Okra can defend itself from being picked! It’ll give you a taste of misery in a hurry. You do not know the meaning of itch until you harvest okra. I just wore a long sleeved shirt when I picked it!
I can tolerate stinging okra itch ‘cause there’s nothing better than fried okra. Both names, okra and gumbo, are of African origin. Okra came to New Orleans with African slaves. By 1748, okra was being grown as far north as Philadelphia, and, in 1781, grown by Thomas Jefferson in Virginia.
Okra is relatively easy to grow, but it’s a warm season crop, and can’t be planted too early. Granny Renfroe told me to soak the seeds in water first and add a little bleach to crack the hull. We planted crimson spineless.
Okra is a nutritious flower with family lineage. It’s edible hibiscus, of the Mallow family. Cotton is in the mallow family, too. so okra and cotton are cousins!
Okra can be used in many different ways. It is easily dried for later use. A little dried okra in dishes produces about the same result as fresh. When ripe, the seeds make an edible oil that is similar to other cooking oils. The ripe seeds of okra are sometimes roasted and ground as a substitute for coffee.
Look at pretty little Loretta. She’s sassy but sweet.This morning Laura left homemade pizza on my porch for my lunch. I warmed it in an iron skillet. I’m going to eat all three pieces!
This is my friend Barbara who passed away. I’m going to Green Forest tomorrow for her funeral. I’ll get up early and leave by seven. Fleta will meet me at the funeral home.
My air conditioner quit working yesterday. Thankfully, Paul Duvall got me fixed. It was the fan motor in the inside unit. $664.00 but I’m happy because each day is reaching 100 degrees. Larry was a heat and air technician. I thought that was the problem and it was.
Went to Kroger today. I bought my groceries for the week. Milk is $4.09. That’s the highest I have ever paid for milk.




No comments:
Post a Comment