Sunday, June 3, 2007

Lost and Found!

Have you ever lost something and been really upset
about it. I lose things all the time. Mostly I put things
up and then forget where I put them. Well, in late
April I lost a treasured book. Erin bought it for me
for Christmas in 2005 (at my request). The book is
History of the Cherokees by Emmitt Starr. It is a
rare book and used copies sell for a lot at Amazon.

I searched and searched for the book in my messy
room knowing I lost it because I am a slouch! Not
there. I looked under the couch and chairs. Sometimes,
when I should be working and am sitting around
reading and company comes I will slip my book under
my chair. Not there.

I check out books from the University Library here.
I can get 4. I am an alumni or I couldnot get 4. I
checked out 4 books and at the end of April, I turned
in 4. The first week in May, I received a letter from
them telling me I still had one book, 25 cent a day
fine. Well, I called and told them they were sadly
mistaken. I returned my 4 books. Then there on
my reading shelf, appeared a little book by Timberlake
about the Cherokees. Oh, dear, I returned it to Tech
and apoligized for my oversight.

Then, I got to thinking, I returned 4 books. I bet I
gave them my treasured book. Now, this was a month
later! Oh, dear, do they throw the books away. I cried
a little and told Erin. She said promptly, 'Mom, it is
just a book'.

Well, I called Tech. A lady answered I knew and I told
her the story. She found my book and I got it back!
Lost things found are tresured even more. I looked in
the front of the book when I picked it up...it had
presented by Erin Jones to Mom Christmas 2005!
I promptly added my phone number to that
inscription.

The photo is a teeny, tiny, peek into the messy
room where I was afraid my book was buried!
I once wished Helen would come and clean my
room, but if she did she would throw all my
treasures in the trash!

7 comments:

Sister--Helen said...

We could donate them to the local library so someone would get some use out of them......What a novel idea!

Galla Creek said...

No, I want them. They are mine!

Annie said...

Old books are old friends - and we never get rid of those!

Anonymous said...

I got so discusted with the GF library that I went to Berryville to get books Saturday. They have a much better selection. Then, when I went to Wally World to get groceries I bought a book. After I read it I will give it to Patsy then maybe to Betty. It is Bushworld by Marueen Dowd, of the New York Times. Patsy will love it.

Bestest Sweetest Sister of all

Anonymous said...

I think I will like it too. I like what she writes in the paper.
Sis 3

mrsnesbitt said...

I lost a camera for nearly a year...I bought a new one and found the lost camera a day later! Yes I can understand this well! LOL!

D

Linda@VS said...

Good story, Betty. You were smart to figure out what happened to your book and lucky to get it back.