Sunday, June 10, 2007

Mile Corner

I think this is what Richard calls the mile
corner. I think it is one mile from Green
Forest. I took so many pictures on the way
to Chicken Ridge that my battery was down
on my camera when I got there and could
not take any. I took someof things he showed
me in his house. Like his quilts. I did not know
he loves quilts and bought them for Barb. He said
a guy that works at theGreen Forest Bank, Jimmy
Norris, made quilts and Richard bought quilts from
him. He has already bought Barb a quilt for the
50th weddingday in 2008. He is prepared. He
is the type to try to be prepared for what is going to
happen.

When you are going to Green Forest you will
notice at Alpena Pass you go to an higher
altitude then the area around Green Forest is
flat like a prairie or plateau. It is a very pretty
country. Mile corner was the site of many
deaths. But is has been strightened out as the
highway has been improved.

11 comments:

Unknown said...

I thought this was the hill Grandma used to call "Sneed Hill". When I asked why, she told me that one of the drunken Sneed's drove off this hill and died one night. Wonder why she never wanted to use my last name when she introduced me to someone? teehee

Galla Creek said...

The Sneeds around Green Forest were from some of the old Settlers bunch that I study...Blevins, Jones, Roberts, Hulsey. They came to the area very early. One Sneed was Bryce and he as a good basketball player. He went to U of A on a scholarship but did not stay...came back to Green Forest. What happened to him I do not know.

Anonymous said...

He does not do much anymore. He once had a carpet shop in town now his wife has a detail shop there. He has a farm going towards oak grove. His oldest daughter died in a car wreck right in front of his house. I dont think he has or ever will get over that. I would almost move so I didnt have to be reminded of that everyday.

Cheryl

Galla Creek said...

Thanks for telling me about Bryce Sneed. He was a big star in High School adn very popular. Who did he marry?

Anonymous said...

Her name was Willie Hawkins.

Cheryl

Annie said...

I've got to say that any man who loves quilts is a keeper.

Favorite Daughter said...
This comment has been removed by the author.
Sister--Helen said...

I remember having a wreak on Dead Man's Curve.....when I called Daddy I was so shook up I told him it was the mile corner....He found me...He said when he got to the mile corner and I was not there he just kept going. I was standing in the middle of the road at Dead Man's curve crying.... The car was over the cliff..

Sister--Helen said...

I was just thinking. I would love to have some of Barb's strawberry shortcake. she always made the best shortcake. It was kind of like a pie crust. Not like your no 'leveling' cake.

Galla Creek said...

Everything Barb cooks is good I think!

Anonymous said...

I was wanting some the other day and Mom was not home to tell me how to make it so I looked on my bisquick box and found a recipe it tasted almost as good as Moms.

Cheryl