Sunday, September 2, 2007

Tradition

Every family has traditions probably think all families
do the things they do. Pie crust strips was a tradition
in my family. If Mom made a cobbler or pie, she made
extra crust and cut it into strips and cooked it on a cookie
sheet. When it was done, she sprinkled salt on top.
I have carried on this tradition. Yesterday for Laura's
birthday, I made a apple cobbler with Granny Smith
apples and made extra crust for Astrid and Sigrid and
Larry. I asked Larry if his Mom cooked extra crust
like Mom and he said, 'no'.

Little Ingrid was not with us for the pie crust treat.
She had a bike wreck and was at the emergency room
getting stitches in her knee. Pop was outside when it
happened. He heard her screams and was down the
road in a few seconds. She will be ok, but will hobble
around for a few weeks. I hope she does not become
afraid of her bike. Sometimes when things frighten us
we try to never go there again.

I am glad for the long weekend....for I am very tired.

9 comments:

Sister--Helen said...

My Mom used to sprinkle sugar and cinnamon on it....

dot said...

Poor little Ingrid! Hope she won't be scared of her bike. Maybe she can have some pie crust on another baking day. Yummy!

Annie said...

My grandmother did like the 4th sister's mom. Did the 4th sister's mom change her ways after she was the 3rd sister's mom?

Annie said...

Your dad, Sister Three, sounds like just about the best dad ever.

Galla Creek said...

Annie, Momma did it both ways...I guess I like the salty ones the best. Sis 4 and Sis 3's Mom is the same great Lady!

Sister--Helen said...

Sometimes sis 3 and sis 4 do not remember the same things....I guess we could contact sis 1 and sis 2 to see what they remember but sis 1 is going to say she never had and extra pie crusts...and sis 2 will only read and think we are stupid and not answer....

Galla Creek said...

You are right sister 4.

Sister--Fleta said...

We did not have any pie or pie curst, let alone left over pie curst. We had salt, but did not have any sugar.

Sister--Helen said...

Well we did after my sister Fleta went to work at the chicken plant and started helping us out and I will never forget it.