Sunday, January 6, 2008

Rules for teachers 1915

Grandma was a teacher. She married in 1911...so
I guess it was 1910 and maybe into 1911 before
she married Grandpa. After that it was like Sister
Patsy said, Grandma's life was ruled by Grandpa;
she had no decisions to make. Thelma said he
even picked out her dresses. Here are some rules
for women teachers in 1915. This came with my
retirement information this week. I will shorten
some of the sentences...but here goes
1. You will NOT marry during your contracted term.

2. You WILL not keep company with men.

3. You must be home from 8 at night until 6 in the
morn unless you are at a school function.

4.You MAY not loiter at an ice cream store.

5. You can not leave this town without permission
of the school board.

6. You may not ride in a carriage with any man
excepting your father or brother.

7. You may not smoke cigarettes.

8. You may not dress in bright colors.

9. You may not dye your hair.

10. You must wear at least 2 petticoats.

11. Your dress may not be shorter than 2
inches above your ankle.

6 comments:

dot said...

She looks quite pretty!
Those rules are definately a little harsh but I wish There were more strict rules today for our children's teachers. Too many teachers break the rules but don't get fired then they just go somewhere else and do the same things.

Annie said...

Those rules sound quite similar to Taliban rules, don't you think?

patsy said...

grandma had watch that pinned on like a broach. she told me had to have a watch to teack school.

Unknown said...

Betty was given the watch and I remember Betty being so sad when it was lost in their house fire. It's interesting to hear about Grandpa from your perspective--it was the same with my Mom. She loved him dearly, but ohhh...she would never challenge or cross him. When kids were all adults, I remember Momma being so sad about how hard "Pop" was on Truman. He seemed to catch it for all of them.

Galla Creek said...

She told me her father bought her the watch she had to have to teach. Grandpa in his letters to her before their marriage was ask aobut her watch and was it still ticking.

Sister--Helen said...

Betty tell Larry I did not get that magazine sent sat....by the time I got there the PO was closed...I will do my best to get it sent tomorrow unless I am sick...