Friday, February 7, 2014

Another Memory

Patsy talking about scotching Mom's back wheel got me to thinking about going to the Laundromat with her on Saturday.  I don't know how the car's motor survived because she would gun the car before she ever took off. She never got the hang of the clutch and gas.  Of course, she did not have a license so we parked behind either the grocery or laundromat.  The sad thing is I don't remember helping at all.  If she needed something from some other store other than the one we parked behind, I would walk and pick it up.  But mostly, I went to run around while she stayed there and did the wash.  I don't think she really wanted help or surely she would have told me what to do.  Momma loved washing clothes and I know she loved it when she got an automatic washer and dryer.  That was long after I left home.  When I left to College in June of 1968, we still did not have running water.

I wish I had helped Momma more.  She hobbled around and her ankle hurt all the time.  Still I don't remember helping much except to wash the dishes.  We had two dish pans for washing dishes.  Momma washed dishes like she was left handed and she made Fleta and I do it that way too.

I can remember if Momma bought a loaf of white bread when we were kids....we ate the entire loaf like it was a treat and I guess it was.  Today I can't even eat that white bread from the store.  I recall she bought ice cream 3 boxes for a dollar.  Daddy loved strawberry and she always bought that.

I have wonderful growing up memories.  Wouldn't trade my early life if I could.

1 comment:

patsy said...

i would set my dish pans a certain way and she would change them she said i was doing it wrong could not WORK WITH HER OR FOR HER. I personaly thought she was stupid and couldn't stand her for very long. i still fell the same way about the dumb things but my memory has soften over the years.