Thursday, May 21, 2020

Visiting Mary

Here Mary is telling us that this old house is a weaning house.  First house a young couple lived in after marriage and on the property of one of the parents.  Gladys Humphrey and her husband Lewis Yeager lived here.  It was on her parents farm.  Gladys' father was Joe Humphrey who was Granny Renfroe's uncle.

Words are easy, like the wind; Faithful friends are hard to find.  William Shakespeare

Laura took me to see another old friend, Mary, today.  I think our friendship goes back to 1975, that’d be 45 years.  I looked back to see and it’s been 6 years since I was there last.  She lives at the top of the world—Treat, Arkansas, near Piney Creek.  I always enjoy visiting there and usually come home with flowers.  Today, it was Foxglove.  I’ll plant it in a shady spot as Mary’s entire yard is shady.  I’m hoping I don’t wait 6 years to go again as Mary will be 98 then!

The stream is called Piney Creek.  This is located quite a bit down the mountain from Mary's place.  Kayakers use it when it is high enough.
Mary leaves all the old structures.  See the logs?
Joe Humphrey's old house and barn.  Still Standing he died in 1944.

Here we are going to take a look at Mary's chickens as she knows I love chickens.  Mary's are pets.  You can just pick them up.
This was my last visit to Mary's 6 years ago.  I look a lot younger.  Mary looks just the same.  My friend Kay and I went up together to see her in 2014.  Her husband had been gone a year.  Yesterday she said it had been 7 years.  Her son has built her a bedroom and bath downstairs as before she slept upstairs and if she needed to go to the bathroom in the night she had to go down the stairs.  Her little bedroom and bath is where she once had a screened in porch.

1 comment:

Sister--Helen said...

Well I don't kn ok w about younger....but u r a lot thinner now