Saturday, December 5, 2020

Ethel’s Tea Cookies

 

Larry’s Mother was a wonderful cook.  She made tea cookies with a recipe that came from Robbie Blalack.  These are roll out, cut out cookies.  Ethel just cut hers round but you could use any shapes.  She said they reminded her of the one her Grandmother Mary Humphrey Standridge made.  They are really satisfying with a cup of coffee.  Grandma Mary made them and put them in a clean dish pan.  Ethel said she’d cover the pan with a clean dish towel.  

I can’t find anything anymore and I am putting the recipe here so I can search and find it.  It’s hard to imagine but I’ve been posting here since 2006–14 years.

Tea Cookies

2 cups sugar

1/2 cup butter and 1/2 cup shortening

2 eggs

1 cup buttermilk

t vanilla, salt, baking powders, and soda

About 5 cups flour

Chill, then roll out and cut out

Bake at 400 degrees for 10 minutes.  This makes several dozen cookies.  She did not frost these but one could do that.

Today, I cut this in half.  I used 1/2 cup sour cream as I didn’t have buttermilk.  I use 3/4 cup of sugar to lessened the sweet. I used self raising flour and eliminated the leavening and salt.  I sifted the flour. 

Don’t know if my will be good as they are still chilling.

4 comments:

Sister--Helen said...

So glad you had a recipe to follow....lol

Sister--Fleta said...

On case u did not catch that, sister is making fun of u.

Donna. W said...

That's what sisters do. :D

Galla Creek said...

Sisters know I can’t follow a recipe. I just start adding stuff.