Monday, December 7, 2020

New Guests Room

 

Laura has a guest room for the first time in 20 plus years.  These are keepsakes.  The bed was my Dad’s.  It was rescued out of Clinton Powell’s old barn where it was used as a gate.  The quilt was pieced by my Mother when she was an early teenage—about 1935.  Grandmother Gaddy paid a deaf lady at Denver, AR to quilt it.  The lady earned money quilting for hire.  The two guilts to the side Mom pieced.  The red one she made Laura using the sewing machine.  It’s super soft and Laura has treasured it her entire life.  The table on the other side of the bed was made by Pop.  It has a mixture of woods.  The door front is walnut.  My family did not have gold and diamonds to pass to their children, but the did give treasures.  Larry’s precious Mother made the Dutch Doll and Wedding Ring quilt for Laura.


3 comments:

Donna. W said...

My grandma hand-quilted for other people, then they'd enter them in the county fair and get prizes for them. That quilt that's on the bed, I think is called flower garden pattern. I think I see part of a wedding ring design showing, too.

Galla Creek said...

Yes, Mother’s quilt is called the flower garden.

Margie's Musings said...

I have a quilt Bob's Aunt Dolly made for him and gave it to us when we got married. She was really a step Aunt but was 65 years old when she took him as a two year old to raise. His mother died when he was two in childbirth.