Tuesday, December 7, 2010

Sister Do You Remember?

I woke and checked the temperature--about 5 oclock. I try to rise early because after working all day, I am too tired to do anything but sit in my chair and read or watch tv. Well, it was just above 20 degrees. Even at Harrison, I noticed it was 29. I turned on the tv and watched early morning on channel 7. I like those hosts the best, except when one dizzy blond is on the show. If she is there I watch a different channel. After a while, I brew a pot of coffee. I dry a load of clothes that I washed the evening before. I drink coffee and take a pill so the acid from the coffee does not make me throw up. I go out and get the morning state paper, wearing Larry's too big shoes and man, it is so very cold. By now it is 5:30. I drank about 3 cups of coffee because I took the acid pill and can. I make my oatmeal. My oatmeal has to be the old fashioned kind like Mama always made. Here's my recipe. Put about a cup of water in a bowl with a handful of raisins. Microwave on high two minutes--oh, a sprinkle of salt. Then add oats. I make about two servings. I put a little sugar on top just about a teaspoon and some whole milk. We only have whole milk because Larry will not drink low fat. By now it is about 6 o'clock. I get the clothes out of the dryer and hang them on hangers so they will not wrinkle in the dryer by sitting there all day. I take them out damp as I don't want to forget this chore. I have left out that I post a photo to the dog page blog and check all the family blogs second thing on rising. The first thing I do is go pee...before I DO it on the floor. I settle down on the couch and cover up with a quilt, watch tv, read the paper. I read the little items on the side first...on the front page. I read about Julian, aspirin being the lastest cancer cure, deaths unsolved, deaths solved...mostly bad news. I read about the teachers' retirement funds doing well and think good ...maybe someday...Iwill draw that money. By now, it is 7 oclock...I get the trash all bagged up. The trash guy comes on Tuesday. He is David Renfroe...1st cousin. I go get the bathroom trash. My grandgirls think Pop and I have a stinky bathroom. We put t paper in the trash not the stool. We have a septic system, Helen, not city sewer. I gather up all the trash, put a coat on over my robe and tramp to the trash barrel by the drive with my truck key in hand. I dump the trash and notice I can see my breath and the sky is pinkish blue. I am feeling sort of sorry for myself for having to go to work, but I do have a choice. I could retire. I start the truck and move it near the front door, turn the heater on HIGH as I want it to be warm on my trip to work. When I go back inside, I have ONE MORE cup of coffee. I think this makes 4. I take one aspirin--stopping all bad cancers that might be in my genes, plus stroke and heart attack! I eat some walnuts, a handful, you know that good fat and all that. I wash my false teeth! Now, I get dressed. I have laid out my clothes the night before. Well, I forgot underwear and I have to get some from the bathroom closet. I have laid out layers as I stay warm better that way. I think--Fleta has been to work for hours already, poor girl! Patsy and Helen are sitting around--bums! I look out the window to make sure the truck has not died! Still running as smoke is coming from the tailpipe poluting the world, AL GORE! I decide to get a big coat. I have been wearing a thin one. I gather up a lunch. I have left over mac and cheese, vanilla yogurt and a baked sweet potato. I know this is a bunch of food, but I will be hungry at 11 o'clock. I take a sweet potato for my skinny friend who loves them. Well, it is now nearly 7:30 and I must take off or be late. I grab my stuff and head out into the cold, dreay morning. For some reason, as I get into my ride, I think....Thank you, Lord, for all your blessings to me and I mean it sincerely.

3 comments:

Sister--Helen said...

cold, cold, cold....Running hot water, gas heat, plenty of food, enough gas in the truck to leave it running till warm and I'll bet you did not have to worry about old tires and having a flat on the way to work....but if you did you have a cell phone to call for help ....yes things could be worse....

Linda@VS said...

I loved this post! Reading about your daily routine helped me to get to know you better, and I like that.

patsy said...

you can stay home any time you want.