Thursday, March 15, 2018

No More Out Houses

This morning's paper said Rhode Island had outlawed outhouses.  You have a certain amount of time to tear the structure down and fill in the area or the fine will be $1000.00 each offense.

I got my tax bill from Carroll County yesterday and they changed my school district.  I lived on the property 50 years ago and graduated from the school the taxes had always paid to.  But now there is a new map and a different school will get my money. I tried to call the number on the bill and it said the county's voice mail was not set up.  How convenient.

It is supposed to be warm today.  I am loving having sunshine.

My devotional today hit home with me.  I am so miserable I don't even know for  what I should pray.  I pray for what I don't need and want things that will not be best for me, but thankfully my Lord intercedes  and the Holy Spirit makes groanings for me that can not be uttered.  It is a good thing I am not in charge of me.  I would make such a mess of my life, but my heavenly Father is making sure it all turns out ok.  Thank you, Lord, today.

Romans 8:26 King James Version 

26 Likewise the Spirit also helpeth our infirmities: for we know not what we should pray for as we ought: but the Spirit itself maketh intercession for us with groanings which cannot be uttered.
This was the Postcard in the paper today--Harrison Motor Court--1959.  You get free morning paper, free coffee and floor vented heat when you stayed here. I love the lawn chairs in front.  You get to sit there for free!

I have been reading....you say, "what else is new"!  Well, I read a new book by Melba Pattillo, one of the nine who integrated Central High.  She said from the first memories she had her life was filled with fear!  She was so afraid.  She said she felt the fear her parents had when they went to Little Rock.  She said there was no way to describe the fear she endured while at Central.  The name of the book is "I will not fear".  The book was not great, but readable.  Now, I judge a book by it being readable as so many are impossible to read!

Now, I am reading about the children who integrated the Junior High Schools in Little Rock.  There were many more students.  The book has a chapter interview of several of the students.  It is very interesting.  I don't think I thought much about this event before.  In 1961, twenty five students were selected to integrate the Junior Highs.  I would have been in the 6th grade at this time.  These children did not encounter the hatred that the 1957 bunch did, but still they had to be brave.  The students applied and were selected.  Most of the 25 are interviewed in the book.  One girl said her mother borrowed money from her granddad for a new dress ant that morning when she started to get ready, the cat had peed on her dress.  She had nothing else descent to wear.  She did her best to get the peed out before her dad took her to school.  This made them late and they missed a big hoop da loo that took place protesting the event. 

I hope your day is good.  I hope you get to be in the sunshine today as it is so uplifting.  Good medicine for the soul!

1 comment:

Margie's Musings said...

Yes, sunshine is so good for the soul.I like it when the wind is not blowing. The wind is blowing here and my allergies make me sneeze.

We had a fairly uneventful integration here in southeast Kansas. Of course, Kansas was a free state. That may have made a difference.