Monday, September 10, 2018

Sharon Kay's Rolls

I am friends on FB with my cousins Sharon Kay and Jerl Dean!  They lived a 1/4 mile from us growing up and Fleta and I loved to go down to their house and play.   Lovetta would let them walk us back as far as the cattle guard when we walked home.  Lovetta made homemade ice cream in the freezer.  I remember it was so good.  When I started first grade, Momma put me on the school bus with the other kids.  Patsy took me to my room and quickly went on her way.  There were papers to be filled out.  Aunt Lovetta filled them out for me.  My teacher Bessie Atchley was Lovetta's Aunt.  Mrs. Atchley was a great teacher.  I was lucky enough to have her in the 4th grade too.  She switched grades from 1st to 4th.  She was the teacher that got me interested in reading.  It has been a life long joy for me.  I read nearly everyday.  I am reading Orlean Puckett--Life of a Mt. Midwife.  I read it a few years back, but I am re-reading it and then I may send it to my life long friend, Jonell.  She is a life long reader, too!

Sharon posted a bread recipe made with water.  Thought I would try it as Momma used water in her rolls.  Larry paid them many compliments.  Recipe is simple--1 cup warm water, 1/3 cup of sugar, 1 t. of salt, 1 and 1/2 T. of yeast, 1/4 cup oil, 3 cups of flour. Mix sugar and warm water and salt and yeast.  I just used warm tap water.  Let sit 5 to 10 minutes.  Add 1 cup of flour, then oil, then  1 more cup flour.  I let rise after 2 cups of flour until it bubbled.  Then add last cup of flour and knead.  It said you could use dough hook with mixer, but I was too lazy just knead by hand.  Grease bowl and let rise covered in oven with light on about an hour.  Punch down and knead more.  Will have to add a little flour.   Let rise again.  Same way.  Pinch into rolls in greased pan.  It will make 1 loaf or 12 rolls.   I made rolls.  Cook 350 degrees for 25 to 30 minutes.  Rub butter on top while warm.

Thanks, Sharon Kay--they surely were delicious!

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

I would love to try these also. Thank you for
sharing the recipe. ~Amy-Patsy