Sunday, June 7, 2020

Favorite Things Change


I used to love getting up early early and sitting alone.  Sometimes in my comfortable chair but if the weather was not too hot or cold, my favorite place was the back porch.  I loved early Sunday morning because of the big Little Rock paper.  I’d read the news.  Work on the puzzles.  Clip coupons as it would contain a big stack.  Then I’d enjoy the local news in the Russellville newspaper.  I need to hold what I read in my hands.  I want real paper not an iPad.  While enjoying this quiet time, I enjoyed black coffee and something sweet stashed away hidden from Larry.  A few years back he decided he was a diabetic and did not even want to see sweets in the house.

Early mornings are so different.  Nearly all my time is spent alone.  That isn’t special anymore.  There are no more early Sunday papers full of things to read and puzzles to do.  Everything is “online”.  I can leave all the sweets in plain sight..  My diet helper is not here.  About all that has remained as it was is the birds.  They feed early and I can still watch them.  What I thought was so special is not.  What was really special is gone.

And then this morn, I started to hang out two rugs but needed clothes pins.  They are on the little side porch. I reached for four and saw a black tail.  Yes, a huge snake was there by my hand.  I went to get my hoe but When I got back to the porch, it was gone.  Did it slide under two doors and into the laundry room?  Woe is me as the snake killer has gone on.

2 comments:

Far Side of Fifty said...

Oh no on the ssnake...I am very afraid of them. Aloneness is hard...I am so sorry :(

Margie's Musings said...

I understand aloneness. I have had it for ten years now. It won't ever go away but it does get better. I hope my prayers will help you heal. Family and friends are so important at these times.