Monday, June 8, 2020

Reconnected

Back in late May of 1968, I left Green Forest for unknown territory and an unknown future.  Muriel in this photo left her little home town of Houston, Missouri for the same.  We were assigned the same little dorm room.  It was really small, just room for two twin beds and a chest each.  There was no shared bathroom.  Each floor had one bath facility.  Since I grew up on Douglas Road with NO indoor plumbing, a down the hall bathroom and shower was wonderful.  We had to carry water from a spring and heat it to bath.  Mostly, we took sponge baths with a little white dish pan.  I can still see the red ring circling the edge.  Washing your hair was a major ordeal.  So having a bathroom and shower was great for me.  

Muriel and  I shared this tiny room for only a short time.  The school was overcrowded and they opened up a 4th floor of another dorm.  They asked for volunteers to move there.  It was an open room with 12 girls living together.  Your space could be boxed off with your chest and other things you had.  It had a large open bathroom.  Muriel and I moved here.  The twelve girls were from different grades in school.  I think there were  4 freshman, 4 sophomores, and 4 juniors, and no  seniors.  Here I made new friends.  But Muriel was my first friend away from Home. This week we reconnected on FB.  I learned about what she had been doing for the last 50 years and she heard my story.  I left this little college in December of 1969.  Sometimes I wonder how my life would have played out if I had stayed and not transferred to ATU.  I am glad I came to Russellville for here I met my Larry and now have two wonderful daughters and six grandchildren.

2 comments:

Margie's Musings said...

What a wonderful experience! It's always great to re-connect with someone from our pasts.

Sister--Helen said...

Good to get the picture after all these years