Thursday, June 25, 2020

Two Books to Read

I love to read and love to find an Arkansas writer who has great works.  I read about Talya Tate Boerner’s book, “Gene, Everywhere” in my Farm Bureau magazine, Front Porch.  Talya grew up on a row crop farm in northeast Arkansas.  “Gene, Everywhere” is about opening their home to her 91 year old father-in-law while his wife is hospitalized and then recovering.  Gene is from Fort Smith.  Her other book about Gracie Lee is fiction.  Gracie decides to ask Brother Brown a few important questions and what better time to talk alone than during altar call.  Rev. Brown thinks Gracie wants salvation but she really just wants a few answers to her questions.  The book calls “To Kill a Mockingbird” to mind.   Gracie Lee views a complicated world through the eyes of an innocent child.  Both were good reads.  I am hoping Talya will write another good book.

2 comments:

Donna. W said...

Looks like an author I'd enjoy.

Donna. W said...

I spoke for the Accidental Salvation of Gracie Lee at one of my two local libraries. I'll have to actually have Cliff take me to the library sometime when we're in Lexington, and read a real book, but that won't kill me unless the print is too small, or heavy enough to hurt the arthritis in my wrist... I like digital books because I can adjust how big the print is, and a device is easier to hold. But I love Arkansas and that title sounds interesting.