Tuesday, January 19, 2021

Hope Springs Eternal


 Hope springs eternal—that was my thought today as Phinnie and I walked through Galla Meadow.  The phrase came to mind when I saw this bursting through the earth, blossoms will follow.  I am hopeful today.  The worst  year of my life is past.  I was able to wear tennis shoes this morning instead of muck boots.  I went bare headed for the first time this year.  I usually wear a toboggan or ear muffs plus a hoodie.  Today I was glad the weatherman was a liar.  I listened to his gloomy report last evening; however, the Lord knew I needed to see the sun and feel his warmth for me.   

Alexander Pope wrote “An Essay on Man” in 1734.  Below is the verse I pondered and looked up at the end of my journey.

Hope springs eternal in the human breast:

Man never is, but always to be blest:

The soul, uneasy and confin’d from home,

Rests and expatiates in a life to come.

So what does he mean?  We continue to hope, even if there is no evidence indicating the outcome we desire will come to pass!  The wisest man wrote in Ecclesiastes that God “has made everything beautiful in its time.”   Solomon also said that God has set eternity in our hearts. This is why we cling to hope through trials and deaths. Somehow we know. We know that God has something better in store for us.

Never doubt that the Lord is working a hundred things out in your life. Because hope springs eternal.  What are you hoping today?

3 comments:

Anonymous said...

Beautiful and so eloquently written!
I needed this today.

~Amy-Patsy

Margie's Musings said...

I too needed this today. It has been "one of those days". Just about everything that could go wrong has gone wrong today.

Galla Creek said...

I hope Laura remembered your baked sweet potato. You need that vitamin A today.