Friday, January 29, 2021

I’m trying to look forward and upward.  Sorrow tugs at me still.  Today, Larry’s been gone 11 months.  Soon, a year will have past.  This quote of Ralph Waldo Emerson grabbed my attention, but when I found it came from him I let myself think about what he said and I don’t really like it as much.  It conveys the idea that to choose one is to put away or reject the other.  Sorrow puts away faith, or faith puts away sorrow. But the Scripture reminds us over and over that our sorrow draws us near Jesus and the Holy Spirit.   

Some good meaning people say these tidbits of advice.  “You just need to have more faith.”  “Stop looking back.”  “Focus on the future.”   “Just move on.”  “You’ve got let go of the past.”  “You just need to live in the present.” Thankfully, God’s Word makes it clear that sorrow and faith can be melded together.  They are  not in opposition to one another.    In scripture and in life we see over and over again that great faith is uniquely evidenced in the midst of deepest sorrow.   Psalm 126–5 They that sow in tears shall reap in joy. 6 He that goeth forth and weepeth, bearing precious seed, shall doubtless come again with rejoicing, bringing his sheaves with him.”

Recently, a friend sent me a photo of Larry and I that I’d sent to her long ago.  When I opened the envelope and saw the image, I smiled.  That is the joining of faith and sorrow.  Not looking back, closes a door shutting away not just sadness but good memories.  I praise His name today and am so thankful for His faithfulness.




 

No comments: