Thursday, June 16, 2022

Pop’s Day

Pop’s birthday today.  He would have been 73.  What he loved most was figuring something out and then getting it done.  While I sat around, pondered and read, he was planning what we’d do next and it all involved sweat and work.  What he loved most in the world wasn’t old tractors it was people, especially his people.  He had big shoulders.  He held me up.

“I wish you knew how much of you there is in everything I do.

It can be the smallest thing… trivial…. mundane…

But you’re there …. under the surface of it somewhere.

I wish you knew how I carry you with me always….

…Everywhere I go.”

R. Suzuki



 

4 comments:

Donna. W said...

I have told Cliff that if he dies before I do, I'm still going to talk to him. At my age, 73 just sounds like too young to die. Cliff has had two times in his life I was afraid he was going to die: Before his open heart surgery, and the time he almost died from a gallbladder bursting... he was in the hospital for days, and came home with two tubes hanging out of him. I feel he got a reprieve both times, and the life he's living now is just "extra time" for him. I'm sorry you didn't have more years with your loving husband.

Anonymous said...

I’ll never be ok. Nothing will ever be as good. I will go on but everything is less!

happyone said...

It must be so hard for you but it sounds like you have many happy memories and he will always be with you in your heart.

Far Side of Fifty said...

You carry his memory close to you, what more can you do. I am sure you think of him many times a day:)