Thursday, September 12, 2013

Betty's Big Adventure

 Larry had some cousins come by to see him.  Well, they were looking for me.  Could not find our house so Loudra (next to Larry) finally said...take me to the Sheriff's office...I will ask them where she lives.  Sure enough the Pope Co. Sheriff knew exactly where I hang my hat.

They called and I told them to come on out.  Larry groaned a little and my have said a little dirty word. But he was nice when his cousins got here.  One lives in OK and one way down in Texas.  The other lady is a daughter of the older cuz.

They were wanting to go to the Cemetery where their Great Grandfather Alexander Standridge was buried.  He lies in Sissom Cemetery, Newton County, AR.  I asked Larry if I could take them...he said just be home by dark.  So off we went.  I did get a little lost.  But was able to locate the Graveyard.  And where their Great Great Grandfather homesteaded.  Then I showed them their Great Great Grandfather's grave and these rocks where I think their Great Great Great Grandmother and father are dust!
 I took them to see their cousins Willis and Syble.  Syble is in this picture.  She turned 85 Sept. 8.  The pictures of the painting and her shelves show what kind of lady she is.  The cousins raved on and on about how wonderful it was to have a guide.  They said even if they found the Sissom Cemetery they would not have known all the stories and who every grave belonged too....but they said the best part of the trip was meeting Syble.  She is a wonderful lady and I knew they would be impressed with her.  She explained where their Grandfather's homestead was....too late for us to go to Falling Water but Syble said that Alex's (she calls him Elick like all the old timers do) homestead was next to Larry's Grandpa's Howard Standridge, the old moonshiner.  Alex owned the Falls and had a Grist mill there.   Syble said she knew where his house was and the rocks were still visible...so I think there is another trip up to Arkansas for these cousins.
 We stopped at Rotary Ann look out and this was their view.  The photo below is Syble's farm.  Remember the one we had.  They came by showing it and Leon bought it for her.  She said it costs too much.  He thought she really wanted it but she said she could see the real thing and it did not matter to her.

Syble has had ovarian cancer.  Maybe about 7 years ago now.  She finally got the Dr. to remove her port. She told him even if it came back she was finished with treatments.

Syble was at Erin's wedding.  Her son did the marrying.  Syble was drying apples in her oven.  She sprays her pasture for weeds with a hand sprayer.  You can see how much pasture there is below.

Guess you can tell that I love Syble and was so glad to get to surprise her with her cousins!





1 comment: