Saturday, May 24, 2014

Patsy's Onion Business

 Larry used the Farmall Cub and cultivated the garden.  I hoed out the Kentucky Wonder Pole beans, but still have to hoe the two rows of Improved pintos. In the top photo you can see the onions before I worked them out.

 I knew about pulling the dirt from onions before Patsy spoke of it, but I decided to work out the onions and pull dirt away.  I dug up a few in the process but will fix them in a salad.  Purple onions are expensive in the store and we like onion so I thought it was worth the effort to clean them.

 I used the first and last hoes and the rake to pull the dirt back.  Still my onions were surrounded by dirt.  So I used the little hoe below and sat on my bucket on the final round.  I wear gloves when I work in the garden as I hate the dirt that gets under my fingernails. 
 I got several buckets of grass out of the one row of green beans and I fed it to my hens.  Sort of like recycling!