Sunday, December 25, 2022

Merry, Merry

Merry Christmas

An older Christmas card

 Once upon a time, we hang our Christmas cards over a string to display them.  My Grandma Powell always had a long string of pretty cards hanging in her house on Springfield Street in Green Forest.  More folks sent cards then.  

The first known Christmas card was sent by Dr. Michael Maier to King James I of England and his son Henry Frederick, Prince of Wales in 1611. These early cards were hand made.  By 1900, Christmas card exchange was quite common and cards were mostly store bought.  Still, many were created by the sender.  This 400 year old custom is fading.  I sent a few cards this year. 

1 comment:

Far Side of Fifty said...

Merry Christmas! I still make and send cards...I think it is important to share the Joy of Christmas.