Monday, May 21, 2007

Galla Rock Cistern

The town of Galla Rock had 500 people before
the Civil War. It was built on cotton and slave labor.
There were 4 community cisterns in the town.
I guess you took your bucket to the town cistern
and got water. All the cisterns but this one are
now under water in the Arkansas River. So I guess
the River has moved or widened. An old lady who
grew up here, wrote of the cisterns. She said you
could only use the water from the city cisterns in
months that had an r in them. So that is January,
February, March April, September, October,
November, and December. They tried putting
fish in the water to keep them pure. I guess they
ate the algae.

4 comments:

Tina Leigh said...

Hey Sister! I aint dead & I aint fell in no hole, lol! I haven't been getting on the computer. I want to spend too much time on it & then neglect some important things. I get a little obsessed with it. One thing that got my attention was that in the mornings I always get up, make the coffee, take a cup of it & a snack, head for the porch for Bible, journaling & prayer & I always do this FIRST. I started skiping that all together & getting on-line. So I've tried to back off & I feel much better about things. BUT I miss blogging & seeing what everyone is doing. I dont know how to have a balance or either there just aint enough time in the day!! LOL! Miss you!

patsy said...

well betty i think i will give you some of my year old pullets that came from the hatchery since i have to cut back if i want to encrease my cockins chicks.maybe 12 babies and 4 adults if that is ok. they are good hens just must decrease if i keep the cochins.

Annie said...

Thank you for sharing this history about community cisterns. It sounds almost biblical, doesn't it. I can imagine women at the well.

Betty said...

As far as I know, there is only one house left in my town that has its own cistern. It's not in use, of course.