Monday, May 21, 2007

Galla Rock History Program

John Jolley's home across the Arkansas River.

Well, I went to the history program on Galla Rock.
It was interesting. I had my wires crossed on so much.
John Jolley lived south of the River. Yes, it was
near Galla Rock, but across the River. I took a
photo of where he and his brother lived. John
Jolley's brother was called Tolontuskee; Emmitt
Starr said he was 'Busheyhead", John Stuart's son.
The Cherokee that Grandpa Powell's sister took
care of was a Busheyhead. Nuttall said in 1819
Cherokee planters lived at least 7 miles along
River from Pt. Remove Creek to Galla Creek.
Dumb me, my thinking was 7 miles wide from
the River, no, they lived up and down the River
for 7 miles.

3 comments:

dot said...

That sure is a wide scary looking river. Is it flooded?

Anonymous said...

This River slices through Arkansas and dumps into the Miss. It goes through Little Rock. It was not flooding...there was some wind but the water was normal level. The Arkansa is a large River.
Sis 3

Annie said...

With all that rain in Kansas and Nebraska I'd have thought the river would be high.