Monday, May 28, 2007

Remembering!

I have been thinking about things that mean a
lot to me as a teacher. Things students
have given me or said to me. Not long ago,
a fellow teacher was at Wal-Mart and she said
a young man ran up to her to say ‘hello’. He
asked about me. He told her to tell me he was
in high school and ‘he was makin’ it and had plans to graduate.
My friend said…he repeated 3 times for her to remember
to tell you that he was still in school.

It meant a lot to me. She described the boy and his
mother. Mother was fat, poorly dressed, old. Boy
had black sort of greasy hair and was tall and skinny.
But, for the life of me, I could not remember him.
He is one of my jewels. The ones from whom I received
little gifts with joy.

It has always been my motto to show respect to the poor,
down-trodden, shabby dressed parents. The folks wearing
suits, ties and fancy dresses demand my respect and
they do get it, but I show respect to the old grandpa
who comes to my school trying to raise a grandson
perhaps dumped on his door. He may be driving a beat up
van, have no teeth, and dirty clothes. I always try to give
their little children extra TLC.

I still wish I could remember that black haired boy. The best
gift to a teacher is to see those she gave encouragement
and support—succeed!

8 comments:

Annie said...

Hi Sister Three,

Interesting, isn't it, how the impact we have on others' lives is often not even noticed or thought out by us in our doing. Because you have a personal philosophy of treating the downtrodden and underprivileged with respect, they remember you with honor and appreciation - even when you don't remember them.

I'll remember your birthday on Flag Day this year.

patsy said...

how nice and what a jot, joy unspeakable and full of grace.

dot said...

Nice that you made such a good impression on him. When I was growing up the teachers made me feel bad because we were poor. Gave me a complex all my life.

Sister--Helen said...

I guess since you are off work now you do not have to post 1st thing in the AM????

Annie said...

Is school out for you now?

Erin said...

school won't be out til friday

Anonymous said...

I did not post this morning as I work up late. Then had to be at school early for Tuesday is my day of duty...stand in the hall and say
'move along, move along'. I am really good at it. I take it like the Walmart greeter job...with a smile.

Anyway, I ran out of time. I will get back to work on the blog tomorrow. I go to school all week. Sis 3

Unknown said...

gosh - I was feeling sorry for myself that we just got out today. I don't know that I could have mentally worked all this week.
I'm like you - it warms my heart when my fellow students remember me and say "hi" when I see them in the store. Now they are all introducing me to their little ones - what a cycle of life!