Monday, May 14, 2007

Perparing to be a Mother

We learn to be a mother by the way our own
raises us. I can imagine a mother who slaps
her child would see the child playing with a
baby doll and slapping the doll. I know part
of what type of mother we become is within
our genes. All the sisters, put motherhood
high in importance. We love our kids. We all
struggle not to do too much for them after they
become adults. I hear parents talk about how
spoiled their kids are and wonder why...when
they always have tried to give them every
little thing they desire. Kids learn by having a
parent say 'no, you can not have or do that'.
They know when it is said with love not meaness.
Much of the time when it involves going somewhere
with friends or doing something, they even want
to hear the 'no'.

I am not a great parent. But my girls can tell you, I
did tell them 'no'. They did not have everything they
wanted. Laura still tells of the Brownie outfit I made
from stuff at the goodwill instead of buying one. Erin
never asked for much. It was hard to tell her 'no'. I
tried to make sure my kids could read, reason, and
do math. I recall teaching math percentage looking at
stuff on sale. Laura loved to shop and she got per
centage quickly. Erin did not really like shopping
and she did not 'get into' sales. Just get what you want
and go was her attitude. Why worry about a sale!

Our most important job is raising our kids to be
adults. Our kids are all we leave on the earth that
lasts long after we are gone.

Happy Mother's Day...it is an important job!

5 comments:

Sister--Helen said...

I know Laura is a good Mama

dot said...

Happy Mother's Day! You and I have the same ideas on raising kids.

Erin said...

'never asked for much' do you have a lie bump on your tongue?? i'm sure i asked for lots.

Anonymous said...

Erin, growing up you were off playing and running. You never cared much about stuff. You just wanted to 'go play'. You did want that bb gun that you shot the french door window...out with.
Momma

Annie said...

It's all that unnecessary stuff that we shouldn't bother to give and give and give. It's the necessary things that we should both to give and give and give. I think you said it all right there, Sister.