Monday, February 8, 2021

Gone Visiting

I am always uplifted spiritually when I visit my dear cousin Irene.  If I have been having a little "pity" party as my mother used to say, all I need to do is go for a mountain visit.  Irene hurt her leg about a month ago putting a stick of wood in her wood heater.  Son Stanley splits all her wood and carries it in, but sometimes she strokes her fire.  The split edge slipped and hit her shin.  Bled and bled because she has to take blood thinners.  She finally went to the Doc Barton and got antibiotics.  She was healing but still in great pain.  We came baring gifts.  My Sweet Sister Helen Irene sent her a bushel of health supplies--band aids, heating pad, zap temp thermometer, gloves--everything Helen could think of that Irene might use.  My cousin made her new face masks.  I took little shrug sweaters and address labels.  

Irene told me about her little house blowing away in March of 1961.  She and Howard had 3 small children and only the clothes they wore to church at Dan Hefley's little church at Lurton that night.  Home was gone when they headed back to Ben Hur.  Dan Hefley may have saved their lives as if they were at home surely not all  would have survived.  The barn had collapsed on a cow.

When we visit Jann always come to say hello.  The acorn does not fall far from the tree she has the same sweet spirit as her mother.  

My Cousin Irene turns 83 in March.  I'm planning another visit and hope to hear new stories about how she lived growing up near Falling Water.  She told me about eating at Bess Standridge Garrison's when she was a girl.  Bess only had potatoes to cook, but she fixed what she had in different versions with good bread.  Irene said Bess' meal was fit for a queen.

Be thankful today for what you have.  That's what I learn from Irene when I visit.  It's a great lesson.



 

2 comments:

Donna. W said...

I hope you share some of the stories she tells you. I love those kinds of stories.

Margie's Musings said...

It is good advise!!