Wednesday, May 19, 2021

Fragrant Privet

My renter has lots of roses.
Galla pond is over flowing.

This is really an invasive shrub but it smells so good.  I wondered what it was and my Friend Amy helped me see it is called Privet.  This is how Southern Living described Privet.  It may be invasive, but at least  smells good.

Privet is a villain—a large, evergreen shrub or small tree called Chinese privet (Ligustrum sinense). It's worse than kudzu, in Grumpy's always correct opinion. Yes, I said that. Worse than kudzu.That's because kudzu needs sun to grow. Chinese privet, on the other hand, grows just about anywhere. In sun. In shade. In wet soil. In dry soil. In the city. In the country. On the surface of Pluto.  It entered the South from its native Asia as an ornamental plant in 1852. Nurseries in towns like Birmingham, Atlanta, and Jackson often ignored its true appellation and sold it simply as "hedge."

 

Today in between showers, Phinnie and I walked to the pond.  No surprise that water was running from the spillway.  We looked at my renters’ roses and snapped a few pictures.  If renters got a rating Astrid would get an A+.  She has flowers everywhere. I saw red, coral, white and pink roses.  I recalled how hard it was to mow the said yard as it’s a natural rock garden.


 

No comments: