Friday, October 1, 2021

Cardinal Flower




Along the forest lane to Irene’s yesterday, I spied this flower on the roadside.  “Stop”,  I said to Margaret.  I have not seen this Wildflower here in the River Valley.   It’s a Cardinal Flower.  The Cardinal Flower grows along streams and damp meadows.   It loves shade so the little forest road lined with trees and little springs seeping from the rocks made a perfect location for it to thrive.  

Ruby-throated hummingbird love the nectar of the cardinal flower and is one of the plant's primary pollinators.   They attract butterflies. The flower is believed to have been introduced to Europe around 1620 and its name comes  from the red color of the vestments of Roman Catholic Cardinals.

I did not take the photo with the butterfly.  I found it as I was reading about the Cardinal Flower.