Tuesday, February 13, 2007

Balm of Gilead

Patsy said sleep was her "balm of Gilead". It seems
like a good way to be. The body can heal when we
rest. We conserve our energy for important activities
in our bodies.

Sleep is a problem for me. I will wake and then can not
sleep the rest of the night. I know the next day I will
be tired, but the sleep will not come. So, I dream of
Patsy's "balm of Gilead" and wish it would come to
me.

I read about this on Wikipedi and this is what it said:
Balm of Gilead is a healing compound (a balm) made from the resinous gum of the North American tree species Populus candicans.
It takes its name from the allusive phrase "balm in Gilead", referring to the balm or balsam carried from Gilead by the caravan of merchants to whom Joseph was sold by his brothers (Genesis chapter 37). In all likelihood, this ancient trade item was what is now known as balsam of Mecca, produced from the tree Commiphora gileadensis (syn. Commiphora opobalsamum), native to southern Arabia.

If this is healing Patsy, I am glad she has it!


1 comment:

Unknown said...

Boy it is amazing how much we are alike - the only bit of wisdom I can add is that retirement has helped the sleep. However, if I am awakened like I have been lately by Mike as he can't sleep with his knee - I have a dickens of the time getting back to sleep. This always seems to happen on nights before I go to substitute - I really try to "let go and let God" for the night, but it must be a "Powell" thing because I certainly do not sleep for long periods of time