Thursday, February 22, 2007

Cornbread!

Growing up we had cornbread and sweet milk for
supper a lot. You just mixed it in a bowl and ate it.
I did not like it then, but love it now. The cornbread
needs to be cooked in an iron skillet. You can't cook
it in a cake pan. It must be brown on the bottom and
golden on top. It should not taste like CAKE. These are
some things my Mother taught me. My friend from
Washington state does not really enjoy cornbread. She
said they never ate it very much. Her Grandparents
were from Missouri....somehow they dropped the ball
and lost the southern tradition. My kids don't eat corn
bread and milk so I have dropped the ball, too!

5 comments:

Cheryl said...

My kids love cornbread. Once in a while they will eat it with milk

dot said...

I agree with you sister. Cornbread should not taste like cake! And it's just not the same made in a cake pan. I remember my daddy eating it with buttermilk but I've never ate it with any kind of milk. Maybe I should try it!

Anonymous said...

Dot, I love it with buttermilk...when I have buttermilk. I am the only one here that will drink buttermilk and so I don't buy it very often. My husband's grandmother used to give me buttermilk...real kind from the cow. Oh, it was sooo good with cornbread. I like those green onions from the garden with it too. Just take a bite of onion and then a spoon of milk. Sis 3

Annie said...

My sister-in-law likes to say that her favorite meals are those in which she has all the different flavors in her mouth at the same time. On Thanksgiving she wants a little turkey, some dressing, some mashed potatoes, some gravy and some cranberry sauce all in her mouth at the same time. I think she'd say the same thing about cornbread and buttermilk.

We love cornbread at our house, usually with beans.

Sunshine said...

I eat cornbread....I just don't like it with milk