Monday, May 23, 2022

Hens From Helen

Last year this very month, Sister Helen gifted me some hens with little chickens.  I have two water buckets full.  They have thrived and filled the buckets.  Helen is afraid of chickens but not afraid of snakes.  Grandma Gaddy could really grow the hens and chickens.  I recall her showing me her patch at the house on Harrison Hill.  I always think of her when I look at them.  I think of Grandma Powell when I see Geraniums.   She had several and took them inside in the winter and returned them to her big front porch each spring.  I can still see the bright red ones so clearly.  

 I have never had good luck with hens and chickens.  So last year I added pea gravel on top of the dirt.  It keeps them dryer.  They’re a succulent and this seems to help.

2 comments:

happyone said...

I have some hens and chicks that are off shoots from the yard I grew up in.

Far Side of Fifty said...

And when they shoot up a bloom they will die! I kept dividing them at the greenhouse...every winter they would have babies under the snow:)