Monday, March 12, 2007

White River

Snapped this picture of the White River flying down I 40.
We met folks in Memphis, TN with Feist pups. They came
from GA, TN, and KY. Well, we crossed the White River.
Sorry, not too good of picture Patsy.
Patsy spoke on her blog about early settlers and Indians
poling the White River on rafts. They uses long poles and
would stick the pole in the mud and then move the raft.
I am sure they hadseveral polers (probably slaves). It
would make a slow means oftravel, but would be a way to
move cargo up stream. I had neverthought of what a hard
task it was to go upstrean until she madeher post. Going
south would have been a dream, but headingback up to
Cape Giradeau, Mo a nightmare! The Cape was a crossing
place for early settlers as was Memphis and Helena, AR.
But early the Indians went to Cape Giradeau, MO and then
traveled by land usually near the bank of a stream.

1 comment:

Annie said...

Interesting, your comment about poling up and down rivers. I've been reading Huckleberry Finn and poling features quite a lot in the story.

Cotter's pretty, I've never been there. I should say I haven't been there YET.