Tuesday, July 24, 2007

Grandfathers!


I never really had a Grandfather. Grandpa Powell
died when I was four, and had just turned four. He
would have been a great one! But I missed him--
Patsy told about him marking her walk to school
when she was little and Daddy was off in the Navy
(WWII). Grandpa Gaddy did not even know our
names...I don't think. He should not count as a
Grandpa. I think he had built a shell around his
heart for some reason.
If I could have chose a Grandpa, I would have
picked one like my husband. His Grandchildren
are first in his life. Last week he took two of
his girls, one at a time, to the park and let them
play. He still has to take Ingrid. What he gives
best to his grandchildren is his....time.

8 comments:

Sister--Helen said...

Well my kids had a grandpa...the girls really remember everything about him...Billy was younger but he also thinks he remembers everything...After Daddy died Missy got mad at me one day and said 'I used to have someone that loved me but he died!" He still has a big influence on Missy's life..

Galla Creek said...

Daddy was big in a lot of lives. He made each feel they were his special one!

Unknown said...

I think your husband and my Mike would be great friends - he is out with our grandson (8) at football camp.

patsy said...

the year grandpa powell died we were there a lot. you had white hair , grandpa would lay his hand on your head and say, "Willis where did you find this old white haired man?" i can still see you grinning at him.

Betty said...

You husband sounds like a fine grandpa. I only knew one grandpa, and he used to take me to the zoo.

dot said...

Betty, I guess you picked a good one for them!

Annie said...

You are so right that grandfathers offer an amazingly rich kind of love to grandchildren (if they do, that is). I was blessed with two grandfathers who loved me well into my middle age.

Tina Leigh said...

Got you & your family in my prayers. lots of love to you Sister!