Tuesday, July 30, 2013

Reward for waiting patiently

 The deer had bit on this honeydew and I could not wait.  Picked it and it was not time. Chicken feed.  We are often in too big of a hurry for pleasure.  Must learn to wait.
 Grandma Gaddy's garden is doing pretty well.  I am imagining that these chicks will fall off and grow?
 When summer began, I only had one chick in each opening so I am pleased.

 The above is some type of Lily it has bloomed 3 times.  It puts up a shoot and these blooms appear.  They only last a day or two.  Below are Momma's 4 O'clocks that came up from seed last year.  I mulched them and they are doing better but Fleta is right they aren't to pretty.

 Above is Fleta's mint garden she gave me.  Next year I think there will be a lot of it here so I have not planted anything beside it.  Below are what I call Surprise lilies and Patsy calls Naked Ladies.  They will be blooming soon.

 Tomatoes are doing better.  The small ones are called Romas.  I notice the Mexicans buying a big bag of them in the store.  And sure enough they are really good.  I think they make salsa out of them.


 I planted more yellow squash and I think the other will die soon.  Squash does not last too long...but it is easy to just plant more.  Below you can see my okra.  A guy came yesterday for a tractor part and he said I see you 'whip' your okra.  Where the okra comes from the stalk, I cut the pod and the limb below it so that the new okra grows from the top of the plant.  The plant needs less water and the okra is easier to see.

 The Black Diamonds are growing.
 Watermelon blooms and a yellow meated melon.  See where the stem hits the melon.  Around that spot a ripe melon will be brown...and the pig tail will be dead.  You can see pig tails in the photo if you don't know what they are.  Also, you can always thump them.  Which does not work for me.
 Isn't the okra bloom lovely.  Prettier than the 4 o'clocks that is for sure.
 If you look closely, you can see a watermelon among these vines.

1 comment:

Sister--Helen said...

cut the top off that mint... the part that looks like it is going to seed. get rid of that and the plant leaves will grow bigger and the plant will spread...