Tuesday, July 9, 2013

Shoes

Sometimes I forget how poor we were because we were happy poor really.  I guess if you were unhappy poor you would remember more sad things about your childhood.  As Astrid and Laura and I were going to the trail to walk yesterday, I stared out the window and thought about growing up and our shoes.  I told the girls, "when we were growing up we very seldom had more than one pair of shoes".  Now kids often have 10 pair at the least.  Our shoes were for everyday and Sunday.  Jeans and dress--same shoes!  We often had a little pair of canvas shoes like the ones here.  Ours were surely not Keds, just like them.  I have a huge bunion on my right foot.  My shoes would tear across that spot in about 2 weeks.  So I had shoes with a hole in them.  Fleta has that bunion too.  We got them from Grandmother Powell.  Fleta had hers cut out, I still own mine.

Astrid was supposed to be at Jr High yesterday at 5:30 to go to Greenwood for a basketball camp.  Laura had trouble getting her going and she missed the bus.  Laura made her call the coach.  Astrid said "my Mom will bring we to Greenwood".  Laura corrected her right there.  No, Astrid would not be going.  She did not cry and carry on.   Astrid knew she was the reason they were late.  Laura was taking me to Sams for my monthly allotment of coffee, etc.  Well, we went on our walk. Laura ran.  Astrid walked along with me. She did not complain.  She accepted her fate.  When we finished, I guess the nearly 4 mile run cleared Laura's anger.  She told Astrid that Ft. Smith had a Sam's and we could go to that one and she would take her to the camp.  Astrid would be late but would get to go.  I was so happy.  Now, I did not interfere with their agenda.  Not my place--I am just Grandmother, not mother!  But I did think "Astrid, I know your Pop would take you".  Did not voice it though.  And I knew I could not even TELL Pop she was not getting to go.  I think Larry got to do nothing growing up and maybe that is why he always wants to help his grandkids do lots of stuff.  Astrid got to camp.  I got to Sam's.  Astrid got to play some on the 9th grade team.  She missed one game.  All was well.  Astrid learned a very good lesson I think in responsibility.  Today, Larry left here at 5 A.M.  Yelp, buying another tractor.  I was out turning on my garden water a little later and I saw the Christensens heading out early.  I am sure Astrid made the bus!

When we went with a group on a school function, sometimes we had to get up as early as 4 to get to it.  We got to do a lot of stuff going to school.  Yes, we were poor, but happy poor.  Mom woke to get us up, without an alarm clock.  You could tell her, I have to get up at 3 and she could!  Now, I wonder if she woke up a 100 times to see what time it was.  Til the day she died, my Mother never owned but a couple pair of shoes.  Growing up she never had but one pair and usually they were worn completely out.   What a Mother I was lucky enough to have.  She embodied the word SACRIFICE!  We were always put before her.

1 comment:

Donna. W said...

I was happy being poor because I didn't KNOW we were poor. One time I asked my mom if we were rich, and she laughed and laughed. Then she said, "We have everything we need, so I guess we are OK."