Sunday, July 7, 2013

Uncivil War

I have been reading this Civil War book.  The author is a history teacher at Lyon College, Batesville.  I  do not usually like any War book.  I only like them if I can follow the story.  Well, this one has a lot of stuff about Shelby's Iron Brigade.  Our Grandpa Henry Powell's son Cyrus rode with them.  Nannie Powell said he was with the Texas rangers, but I am pretty sure Fleta, Patsy and I figured out he was with Shelby.  They spent a lot of time in North East AR as they used the White River when they could and there were lots of Rebel sympathiers who lived near Batesville.  Shelby's men were tough.  They rode horses but dismounted in battle and fought like infantry.  Shelby had relatives near Batesville.  He said Sterling Price was fat and lazy.  All his men starved to death and he got so fat he could not even ride a horse.  Shelby said he really did not want to fight just wanted the glory with the position!  I can see Uncle Cyrus riding strong as I read along.  I sure have enjoyed the book.  On the last, there was really nothing to eat.  From Jan. to July of 1864 most got no pay!

Nannie said Uncle Cyrus was a hold out and did not want to surrender!  They made him drink gun powder mixed with whiskey and bend over a saber!  Patsy, Fleta and I traveled to OK to meet our cousins, Uncle Cyrus' grandchildren a long time ago.  I am glad we went to Gans, OK, I think it was.

1 comment:

Sister--Helen said...

Glad you have something to read