Tuesday, April 12, 2022

Dogwoods Blooming

The Dogwood's blooming always call up their legend for me.  I believe it.   Phinnie ran away yesterday.  He always goes to Astrid’s house.  I walked over between the rains.  He hid under their side by side.  When I shooed him out, he ran under her Jeep.  I cut a little sea grass string from her storage and led him home.  We were both sad.  Me— because he loves her more and he—because I found him and brought him home.  We didn’t speak to each other all evening, but today it’s forgotten just like any couple we had to get over it.  We’re stuck with each other.  I know he’s unfaithful but I’ll stay with him.  He will feel likewise for a while then he’ll think of greener pastures and run again.

We had storms last night.  Cora wanted inside and I let her in and also let her sleep in Phinnie’s bed.  He wandered the house all night trying to find a comfortable place to lay his head.  His toenails clicking the floor kept me awake.   We both punished each other.  Forgiveness is the best route.  It takes awhile for one to see if we are to live together forgiveness is the only way to peace.  

An old and beautiful legend has it that, at the time of the crucifixion, the dogwood was comparable in size to the oak tree and other monarchs of the forest. Because of its firmness and strength it was selected as the timber for the cross, but to be put to such a cruel use greatly distressed the tree. Sensing this, the crucified Jesus in his gentle pity for the sorrow and suffering of all said to it: "Because of your sorrow and pity for My sufferings, never again will the dogwood tree grow large enough to be used as a gibbet. Henceforth it will be slender, bent and twisted and its blossoms will be in the form of a cross -- two long and two short petals. In the center of the outer edge of each petal there will be nail prints -- brown with rust and stained with red -- and in the center of the flower will be a crown of thorns, and all who see this will remember.

Astrid’s little bed of tulips.

P

6 comments:

~Amy-Patsy said...

Gigi-
I'm thankful for our friendship!
~Amy-Patsy

Margie's Musings said...

Very pretty flowers!

Galla Creek said...

Amy, my muffin was Berry delicious.

~Amy-Patsy said...

Gigi....that makes me soooo happy! :)
I love sending you treats. I'm
so thankful for our redhead that is
willing to deliver. :)
~Amy-Patsy

Laura said...

Red's Meals on Wheels at your service!

Far Side of Fifty said...

Such a beautiful Legend of the Dogwood! Get some better treats and Phinnie may like you better!