Wednesday, April 13, 2022

Redbud or Judas Tree

I wanted a Redbud tree.  They are a small tree.  Never getting but 20 to 30 feet.  Larry climbed a barb wire fence and dug this one for me years ago.  It was only 2 feet tall.  We placed a signal stake near so no one would drive over it or step on it and do harm.  

The Eastern Redbud is called the Judas tree.  Judas Iscariot is reputed to have hanged himself from the Redbud tree.   The tree was stronger and had white buds.  Legend says the tree was so ashamed of its role in the suicide that it became small, brittle, and the white pure blooms turned red with embarrassment.  



3 comments:

~Amy-Patsy said...

I have a redbud tree in my yard that came
from the old redbud tree in our yard. I
do think they are beautiful. Every
Spring, I make the comment that it comes
alive because the bees love it! You
can walk by it and it is buzzing with
life.
~Amy-Patsy

Donna. W said...

My redbud tree broke last year, and there was no saving it.

Galla Creek said...

In my reading, it said plant a Redbud and the bees will love you.