Wednesday, April 20, 2022

Potato House

One of the group sites posted this.  It’s Johnny George’s potato house.  Wouldn’t it be great to have a potato house again.?  You just take a bucket out and bring in what you want.  You might sprinkle a little lime on them to help preserve them. Growing up we kept our potatoes under the house.  It was my job to go get them for Momma some times.  We ate potatoes everyday and usually pinto beans and corn bread too.  It sounds good today, but then I thought it wasn’t appetizing.   Before spring we used all of our potatoes and we were happy when we could “gravel” a few.  You scrape them as the peel is just too soft to use a knife.  We dug potatoes in July.  Here, larry and I dug them in June.

 Granny Renfroe cooked the first ones with green peas and later we cooked them with fresh green beans as green beans weren’t ready early.  Momma never taught me to cook.  She didn’t want you “in the way”.  I learned from Larry’s Momma and Granny.  Granny said when cooking new potatoes and green beans—“you have to cook all the liquid out but don’t scorch them or you’ll ruin that “mess”.  🥰


 

3 comments:

Far Side of Fifty said...

We used to throw new potatoes in a water bucket turn on the hose and take the shovel handle and swirl it around with the potatoes...skinned them perfectly. My Grandmother would make new peas and potatoes with a white sauce (milk gravy) that I can still taste...and would love to have some with her again! My Mom cooks but she didn't have enough patience to teach anyone. My cooking is all trial and error...lots of error! My husbands grandparents raised potatoes to sell back in the teens and 20's and they kept them in the basement of their home in dirt bins and they would sort them into bags to take to town to sell...Grandpa called them spuds!

Galla Creek said...

So good to hear your memories. Granny made them in white sauce too. They were so good.

~Amy-Patsy said...

I still love me a good "mess" of green beans and new potatoes. We would
have cornbread and sliced tomatoes as well! Now I'm hungry. :) Mama
would make creamed peas. I love that too. Nothing like good ole home
cookin'.
~Amy-Pasty