Monday, August 9, 2021

Special Friend

 These were sent to Baby Brother’s service from a friend I grew up with and her sisters.  We met in the 5th grade when her little country school, Fairwell, closed and she was sent to the bigger school in Green Forest.  She says our lives are entwined, the Powell girls and the Rudd girls.  That entwining makes our relationship stronger she said.

My cousin Virginia told me that growing up, she had no close friends.  She played with her little brother.  Her older brothers were usually working on the farm.  She started to school at old Denver.  She said all 7 grades were in one room.  Her teacher was Mrs. Fitshue.  Three were in her class, she, David Miles, and Wendell Terherst.  Later, she was bused to Fairwell.  I’m not sure how long she attended the one room school.  In trying to help me remember who her teacher was she mentioned Ronnie Fitshue.  I’m not sure if I am spelling it correctly.  She said the Rands were her neighbors down the creek, but I don’t think Aunt Frances allowed her to go there and play.  Made me realize how lucky I was to her my sisters for playmates.  She had four brothers.  Her baby brother was handicapped and his medicines did not always work.  She took charge of him for her parents and was his guardian the rest of his life.  I think it’s wonderful to know of others’ lives and how they lived.  This cousin lost her only daughter to cancer and then her husband.  Her life has returned the manner it was when young—only her precious brothers again.  Her brother Frankie calls her every morning.



No comments: