Saturday, January 27, 2007

Genealogy--my passion!

I love genealogy research. The Sisters
first surname to research was our own
POWELL. What a joy we all received to
learn that we sprang from poor farmers,
and trash that England transported to this
country. Over and over, we found men and women
that were willing to stand, speak and even fight for
their beliefs. It is our legacy. We are proud of who
we are and what we game from--Gene Powell always
said "our ancestors were horse thieves." But I disagree
I think we were poor whites living in the slums of London
trying to eat with no income, trying to have clothes with
no funds to buy them.

The photo above is Anna Renfroe. She married
Abe Bledsoe. Powell is not a real hard name
to research compared to Renfroe. Renfroe can
be spelled lots of ways: Renfroe, Wrenfro,
Wrenfroe, Rentfro, Rentfroe, Renfro; thus making
it very hard to find your family. The Renfroes
were from Scotland, but probably came there
from France when they opposed one of the Kings
who "kicked" them over to Scotland. Renfroe in
France was probably Renfreau! I love getting
pictures of folks I am researching. We have found
several of Powells. This Anna Renfroe may be
kin to us, but I have not found a connection!
The Renfroes were poor hunters early on more
than farmers. The Powells were farmers. First
tobacco, then corn, and finally livestock. Today
Richard Powell is still a farmer like his ancestors
of 100s years past.

3 comments:

Annie said...

You do have a good foundation for knowing yourself when you know about your ancestors, Sister 3. I think you are right on when you say it's your legacy to stand, speak and fight for
your beliefs.

Although I'm not too skilled in searching my geneology, I am lucky to have a brother who has an ironclad memory of all the family stories that have been told through the years and a cousin who loves to research all the generations that have gone before. On one side I come from tin miners and on the other from cowboys and farmers. You can imagine some of the characteristics that exist in my personality.

Anonymous said...

This is a sturdy working background of which you can boast.
Sister 3

Anonymous said...

That is just fabulous - I love reading all about your family history - and wonderful to have photos.

Just heard that Patsy has had her operation.

Please give her my love won't you and wish her a speedy recovery.