Friday, January 12, 2007

Waiting Each Morning!







As I leave for work each morning. I see
two Redtail hawks. They are always in
the same spot. One sits in a tree in Galla
Meadow. He uses his radar eyes to watch
for a rabbit or field mouse or even a snake
below in the Meadow. He will swoop down
and snatch up his prey with his talons and
beak. Then swiftly he will sail away. His
victim may kick and squeal but he will be
Mr. Hawk's next meal.

The other Redtail is sitting each morning
on a radio tower near my Meadow....watching
waiting, never even flying when he sees me
coming down the road. I stopped yesterday
to take a picture of him to show the Old Woman
on Chicken Ridge. He sat high on his tower
glaring at me, but finally did fly away....only
to return in a short time and sit again on his
perch. He seemed to be saying to me ..."this
is my domain".

It is against the law to shoot a Redtail Hawk.

2 comments:

dot said...

Well at least he is trying to do his job and get rid of all those nasty little rats and mice. On a search I found that the oldest known was 28 yrs and 10 months.

Sister, my first batch of muffins tasted like they had raw grits in them. lol. The second batch tastes good but they crumble all up when I slice them open to put margarine on.

Annie said...

I love to drive along and look for the hawks perched on fence posts and trees. They seem to be about a mile apart from each other, staking out territory I imagine. They are magnificent birds; I'm sure glad I'm not a little tasty morsel on the ground.