Sunday, January 21, 2007

Welder




The first picture is of the water tower
near the school where I work. I snapped it
from the parking lot last Friday. I am carrying
my camera like Dot and Annie...right there in my
purse with my $3.78 left after paying bills.
I was thinking about Greg, Sister Fleta's son,
building the water towers. He came to Russellville
once and built one I think. I bet this is the one as it
is pretty new. Greg welds the sheets together. He
learned how to weld in the U S Marines. The water
welds are xrayed to make sure the tower will not leak.
He travels all over the western states and south into
Texas welding towers. He is now the foreman of a crew.
Greg, Hannah's dad, is near Clovis, New Mexico
building a tower. It is almost finished and soon he and his
wife and two little ones will head for Nebraska for another
build. Look what it is doing near Clovis. Snow, Snow, Snow!


5 comments:

dot said...

You are getting some nice pictures sister. Keep it up!

Annie said...

Hi Sister Three, you traveling photographer. Isn't it fun to :find" a photo in the most unexpected places?

Reading about Greg's job made me think back to the work that a lot of my relatives used to do years ago. They were traveling wheat harvesters. The whole family (and several other families as well) would travel several states to combine the fields and bring in the wheat. The men would work and the women would cook and the children would play. They all had great memories of those summers.

Anonymous said...

What a difference - blue skies and now the next.

Great to hear that your family (Greg) are building water towers.

A lot of travelling!

Sister--Fleta said...

Greg did not build the watertower you have pictured in Russellville. Greg builds only straight up and down towers like the middle picture.

Tanks or towers that are small at the bottom and large at the top, sometimes much like a mushroom, are called widowmakers. Can you guess why?

Anonymous said...

I would guess that men die building them. Am I right?
Sis 3