Thursday, January 18, 2007

Grandma--Happy Birthday!

I wish I had another chance
To talk to my Grandmother!
Oh, the questions I would ask
About her father, sisters, brother!
Oh, to have just one more visit
Sitting in that old porch swing--
I would find out each detail
I'd ask about everything!
Grandma's gone; it's too late,
But I am going to do my part
So Astrid, Ingrid, and my Siggie
Know about my life, my heart!
When I was growing up, my Grandmother was
always there in her two story house in town.
I did visit with her a lot, but I wish I had taken
time to see more in her heart and mind.
I could have spent 100s of afternoons learning
of her hardships, joys, and early life. I did not.
I stayed with her like it was a hotel.
Oh, if I could go back and have another chance,
I would try to give to her more and see inside her soul.

6 comments:

Anonymous said...

Take heart from the times you did spend with her - I never got to meet any grandparents - all dead and gone before I was born

Gorgeous photo of your grandmother

patsy said...

grandma talked all the time, you just had other things on your mind. grandma talked when no one was there. she carryed on conversations with grandpa when he had been in the grave for years.

dot said...

Sister, that is a nice photo and poem about your grandmother. I think we all wish "if we could only go back and do it over".

We need to talk on e-mail or something because I don't want to tell the world how I'm eating only a muffin for b'fast, lunch, and evening snack, and a normal supper and gaining weight and you have lost 9 pounds! Please tell me what else you are eating.

Unknown said...

Thank you so much for remembering. I have so many stories about Grandma, but I think one of my favorites was from my Dad. His Mother was no prize and he just adored Grandma Powell. When she passed, Mom was amazed at the things that Dad knew about Grandma and he answered, "well, while all you girls gabbed into the night, I sat and talked to your Mom and that's how I knew what was going on." We so loved and respected her and she gave me such a "self-worth". Suzie said, "somehow I always knew I was going to survive because my Grandma and Aunt Fleta believed in me!" What a legacy!

Annie said...

Lovely sentiments, Sister Three.

Linda@VS said...

You always write the sweetest poems! This one is especially nice.