Wednesday, January 3, 2007

Tradition lives on!



Momma made pot holders out of old wash clothes.

She liked to use really worn out ones. She

covered it with left over cloth and sort of quilted

it on both sides. She always put a little loop so you

could hang it on a hook. The two old pot holders

Momma made for me probably over 20 years ago.

Erin remembered how good Momma's pot holders

worked and wanted some. Laura made four for her.

Some might think it silly to want a homemade pot

holder but they work so much better than those from

the store. Some of the store ones are so thin you

burn yourself picking up a skillet. Others are so

thick that they are clumsy to use. I have stopped

using the two old ones Momma made me because I

want to have them forever. Maybe Laura will make

me some new ones like she made Erin!

6 comments:

Erin said...

i wasn't remembering grandma's when i requested these. laura made me one a few years ago and i have worn it down so i requested one for christmas. i guess she thought i wasn't serious (i don't know why -- i am always serious and truthful.) because i didnt get them for christmas

Galla Creek said...

Laura was remembering Grandma's and now you can too.

Annie said...

Memories of those we love are felt more deeply when we touch and see the treasures they used or gave us. In my house there are all kinds of treasures from the women and men of my family, the ones who are no longer living and the ones who are still creating future memories.

These potholders made by your mother are such a good idea. I think I'll try making one or two. Maybe someday someone in my family will use them and think of me.

Sister--Helen said...

The bottom red one was a piece from material used to make Debby a blouse...I think the top one was a dress of Mom's...I am not positive on the yellow flower one...

Galla Creek said...

helen, that is nice to know. i remember the blouse now. It does sort of make me sad though.

Annie said...

Sister Three, have a good first day back at work. I'm thinking of you. Annie.