Tuesday, February 22, 2022

Ask and It Shall Be Given

 Home of I. C. Sutton where Lloyd listened to “Hallelujah, I’m a Bum”.


https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=s28B14LC5jM

A fellow genealogy researcher from Newton County, AR. died this week.  Lloyd was 81.  He was born at Lurton, AR.  His Grandfather I. C. Sutton had a factory there that first made ax handles and later school desks and cane bottom straight back chairs. 

This family was wealthy by the standards of that local.  His mother married I. C.’s son, but after having three sons, they divorced.  His Mom moved to CA and worked like Rosie the Riveter during W W II.  She met his step father there and remarried.  

Lloyd said he developed a feeling of inferiority growing up because his mother did not have the same last name as he.  He grew up in a little town in AR called Fouke, famous for Big Foot, but he would go to Lurton and stay with his Grandpa Sutton, even after Grandma Sutton passed away.  He was scared to death when he went there if he had to stay with Grandpa by himself. 

I don’t know but suspect, that some of the Sutton sons were ruined by the money the family had.  Lloyd remembered staying and a younger Uncle would get home in the early morning hours and Lloyd, being a kid, didn’t get why, but Grandpa Sutton would get up early and wind up the old victrola and play “Hallelujah, I’m a Bum” as loud as the player would play.  Uncle would finally stumble out of bed and Grandpa would stop playing the song.   Lloyd said as a youngster he heard “Revive us Again” at church and thought they were copying Grandpa’s song.  

I reread Lloyd’s story last week and thought I could hear Donna Wood, a blogger friend of many moons, playing and singing the song.  Being the forward person I am, I asked Donna to play and sing it.  Hallelujah she did.  Plus, she told all about the history of the song.

February is a bad month for me.  Larry died the last day of February and I haven’t been able to sit in the sun’s healing rays since October.  Thank you, Donna.  Read about it  and hear Donna sing it.

singingDonna Singing.  I doubt you enjoy it as much as I do.  But I think God and Sister Patsy are laughing out loud.

1 comment:

~Amy-Patsy said...

I love her singing and guitar playing. I giggled
throughout the song. Being raised on a church pew,
I found the humor in funny things like this. lol
This is what happens when your dad is a minister and
you find humor with the "happenings" at church. :)
~Amy-Patsy